Alfa Wassermann Separation Technologies initially developed a sanitization and disinfection kit to be used with their pharmaceutical grade ultracentrifuge. In May 2009, the company reported an important advance. They have determined that this technology can actually be used for the sterilization of a wide variety of other heat sensitive instruments. Filling machines, filtration systems, laboratory centrifuges, incubators, and laboratory worktops and walls can all be properly cleaned using this system.
The AlfaSIP-50D sanitizes in just 5 to 10 minutes in a centrifuge without any heating or cooling cycles. Smaller amounts of this solution are needed than comparable disinfecting agents for accomplishing the same job. This agent comes in packets of 10 kits. One kit is usually enough to sanitize 8 to 10 loads. Once the solution is created it remains actively potent for up to 15 days. This means any extra solution of chlorine dioxide can be temporarily stored for additional applications later. When the product is used as recommended it can safely treat instruments made of stainless steel, elastomers and many plastics.
A membrane based micro-reactor envelope permits only pure chlorine dioxide gas to diffuse into the water. This means that the equipment is exposed to 99% pure solution of the active ingredient during the disinfection cycle. Alfa Wasserman’s patented process virtually guarantees that free chlorine is not produced. This makes the system both safe and effective.
The flushing during the sanitization procedure ensures that no residue is left behind. Although the chlorine dioxide is not corrosive to most materials at the doses used, the potent oxidizing agent quickly wipes out any pathogen it comes in contact with. In fact, ClO2 is more effective than chlorine at disinfecting water and surfaces. Another advantage is that it is much safer to use than chlorine gas.
Warnings About Chlorine Dioxide
At high enough concentrations in solution ClO2 becomes unstable and will break down into chlorine and O2 very easily. With 15% or greater solutions at STP, it can be explosive. Therefore it should never be transported. It should only be used at the location where it is produced or generated in situ. Only small amounts can be viably stored on location and only for short periods of time.
In high enough concentrations, this chemical is harmful to all forms of life. It is used as an anti-microbial and disinfectant for this reason and the fact that it naturally breaks down. Adverse effects on humans are still under investigation. Very low doses are generally considered to carry minimal risks. The benefits of using it often far outweigh any ill effects. However, direct exposure should be limited.
Short-term exposure symptoms can include watery or irritated eyes and seeing halos around lights. It can also cause irritation of the nose and throat, coughing, and chess pain. The lungs can be irritated resulting in shortness of breath. Repeated or long-term exposure can cause fluid to build up in the lungs. High enough exposure can cause pulmonary edema that may not show up for 24 hours after contact.
Proper training and equipment maintenance are the keys to safety when using any sterilizer. If you find that your current model is not safe to operate, find out how to replace it. Our free report can help.